Yes, I know I’m late. Sorry about that. It’s been a particularly crazy week with some long days, and on Thursday night I decided to prioritize sleep over completing this post. I have no regrets. What I do have, though, are some typical random thoughts to share.
There are times when I find myself more than a little perplexed at the chapter divisions in my Bible. Yes, I know I could read from a format that excludes these to avoid asking questions but let’s be realistic, without the chapters and verses, we would be lost.
I’m generally thankful for these divisions, as, I suspect, we all are. The format of our current chapter divisions was set in place by Archbishop of Canterbury Stephen Langton in the 13th century. The verses with which we are familiar would be put in place later in the 16th century by Robert Estienne (aka, Stephanus). The uniformity and organization these provide are exceedingly helpful. Still, at times I come across a chapter break in my reading that, quite frankly, puzzles me. For instance, I suspect we may have fewer misuses of 1 Corinthians 13, and fewer misunderstandings of spiritual gifts, if this chapter weren’t separated from the previous paragraphs.
What’s your preference? Do you read a standard format Bible regularly, with chapter and verse divisions, or do you default to something like the ESV Reader’s Bible, which omits these? As for me, I choose to keep my divisions and just grumble quietly when they seem odd because the truth is, I’d be lost without them!
Well, one thing is for sure, this post has no need to be divided up into chapters because it’s just here to give you a quick glance at your week in review (kind of):
- Speaking of random.
- Charles Stanley is stepping down as senior pastor, but he isn’t retiring.
- Anyone in the market for a new house?
- I admit, I didn’t listen to the podcast, but I don’t think it would change anything. This tweet is literally one of the most ignorant things anybody has ever said in the history of ever.
- I love this story about the 9/11 dogs.
- And I love this mural!
- Here’s your weekly dose of adorable.
- We all need encouragement.
- This is completely unacceptable.
- And this is utterly devastating.
- Put on your mask, lady!
In order to discover the character of people we have only to observe what they love.Augustine of Hippo