Yes, I know I missed posting last week. I almost missed this week, too. Life is just busy. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels that way.
So, I’m sitting outside as I write this, and I’ve made an observation over the past couple of days. I hate noise. Nature noise is fine (usually). Squawky blue jays, finicky squirrels, and noisy crows are an exception. But I love to listen to the birds singing, and even the hum of the cicadas, while hardly melodious, still brings reminders of God’s creativity and sovereignty. What noise do I hate, then? Or, at least strongly dislike? Unnecessary noise. Motorcycles and other loud, obnoxious modes of transportation. Children screaming at the top of their lungs for no good reason (and to be clear, the only good reason to scream and shriek is if you are severely injured or being abducted). Incessantly barking dogs. These are all unnecessary noises. They trigger stress and discontent. In short, they are annoying.
What would it be like to live in a world without unnecessary noise? I can’t imagine. Further, what would it be like to live in a world without other types of noise, like the silent buzz of social media and the inevitable chime of incoming email? Honestly, it would take some time to adjust, but I think it would be marvelous. It isn’t our reality, though. We live in a noisy world.
That’s why it’s so important for us to step back daily and sit quietly with God in prayer and reading of His Word. This is why we must seek Christ amid the chaos. If we don’t, the unavoidable noise of life in 2020 will overwhelm us.
Well, I hope this post doesn’t contribute to your weekly noise. Instead, I hope it’s a chance for you to pause and enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- Speaking of noisy squirrels. I had no idea it was them making those noises in the woods!
- Releasing prisoners due to coronavirus concerns was literally one of the dumbest ideas of 2020.
- Here’s why some groceries are still hard to find.
- The Apostle Paul encourages us to love the church.
- This makes me so sad. If you’re a tea drinker, consider supporting this Seattle-based business.
- This happened and it shouldn’t have.
- Here’s your weekly dose of adorable.
- This toy never should have been brought to market in the first place.
- Ugh. People are so ridiculous.
- I love these stories and pictures of cats serving their country!
For who is God besides the Lord?Psalm 18:31 (CSB)
And who is a rock? Only our God.