First, an apology. One of last week’s links led to a video that was somewhat humorous. However, at the end of the video an inappropriate comment was made that escaped my hearing. A friend alerted me to it and I promptly removed the link. As my regular readers know, I never would have intentionally included such content (I truly did not hear the comment!), but I do apologize if anyone was offended!
Okay, moving on.
I haven’t ventured out much during this lockdown, but finally had to muster up the courage (and the mask) to go to the one grocery store in town that doesn’t have pick up or delivery service. This store is actually fun (as grocery stores go, anyway) because it is massive and has food from all different countries. You can easily spend a lot of time and money there by just wandering the aisles!
But with all that’s going on, wandering was not my approach. As I searched instead for my necessary items, it struck me how odd this new normal is. A sparsely populated store that is usually teeming with customers. People wearing homemade masks, desperately trying to avoid walking too close to one another. And over the loudspeaker, the familiar chorus of “Bye, bye, Miss American Pie” rang through the store, seeming to be an oddly appropriate serenade in the moment.
Remember life before 9/11? We will never retrieve that. Will our children grow up thinking it is normal to wear a mask while shopping? Who knows? Only God, and I am thankful that He is on the throne through it all!
Okay, if you’re properly socially distanced, go ahead and take off your mask while you enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- This is heartbreaking. It didn’t need to be like this.
- It’s crucial to understand and heed what this epidemiologist is saying.
- Aw, this is sweet.
- I think I’ve shared this sermon before, but I recently listened to it again and can’t commend it highly enough. Every Christian should hear this, really.
- “Not all theological zeal is from God.” This article nicely complements the aforementioned sermon.
- Here’s your weekly dose of adorable.
- What a coincidence, I just added this book to my wishlist yesterday!
- I’m not crying, you’re crying!
- Do you know Elizabeth Barrows Ussher?
- Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 94th birthday this week, but I didn’t know she has two birthdays each year!
- On faith and the power of God.
We can never hear too much about Jesus Christ.J.C. Ryle