Christmas is almost here. Hard to believe, isn’t it? In the busyness of the season, it’s easy for us to lose sight of what we are truly celebrating, namely the incarnation of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And in the midst of that, it’s easy to further forget how much more we have to look forward to. There is, after all, a second advent, a promised second coming of Christ.
This time of year, we remember when He condescended to come to earth as a man. His humble birth gave way to a humble life, and it all culminated in His crucifixion. His resurrection three days later demonstrated the Father’s acceptance of His sacrifice, and further confirmed that He was indeed truly the Son of God.
In His birth, life, death, and resurrection, Jesus Christ fulfilled every prophecy foretold in the Old Testament about His first coming. In His return, He will fulfill every prophecy that yet remains. He came the first time to save. He will return to judge.
These are weighty things to consider amid the jingling of silver bells, but they are crucial for us to acknowledge, understand, and celebrate. From the manger to the cross to the empty tomb to His victorious return, Jesus Christ has always been Faithful and True (Revelation 19:11). This December 25, we do not merely celebrate a birthday, we worship a willing Savior. Merry Christmas.
Hopefully these last few days before Christmas will allow you at least a few moments to enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- On the prophesied ruler from Bethlehem.
- I love this article. I admit, I get a little (okay, maybe more than a little) annoyed at the self-righteous folks who like to lambast Mary, Did You Know? every single Christmas season. This article puts the song in perspective, and teaches us how to use the good sense God hopefully gave us.
- Why do we expect Christmas to be perfect every year? This article has some interesting thoughts to bring us back to reality.
- I can’t imagine not attending church on Christmas Eve, and am astounded at how many churches don’t gather together to worship and celebrate at this time.
- Here’s a great perspective on the importance of vaccinating your children.
- What are kisses without tips? Yeah, now I have you wondering, don’t I?
- Looking for a good book to close out 2018 or start 2019? Here are some recommendations.
- This is fantastic.
- A letter from Augustine.
- Here’s your Christmas dose of adorable.
- This is hilarious because it’s true, but it also makes you wonder why we give so much credibility to those TED talkers.
- Yep, we really do have plenty of time to read our Bibles!
- Narwhals are fascinating.
- One of my favorite Christmas carols.
- There really was a St. Nicholas.
What God did when He sent His Son into the world is an absolute guarantee that He will do everything He has promised to do. —Martyn Lloyd Jones